Friday, September 4, 2009

Shiner Smokehaus

As I’ve said before, I love barbecue. Smoke adds a depth of flavor and roundness to meat and vegetables that is unmatched and one of my favorites. Smoke is versatile and is used by many cultures for many different preparations. Earlier this summer I attended the Taste of Tribeca food festival where I saw Leah Cohen from last season’s Top Chef use smoked yogurt in a lamb recipe. I’ve tasted smoked cheeses, chocolates, candy, fruit, vegetables, nuts and now, even smoked beer.

The little brewery in Shiner, Texas has Shiner Smokehaus with Mesquite smoked pale malts. This Helles style beer is light bodied and pairs well with barbecue or any kind or anything grilled. The flavor of the beer is pure Texas. Smoky and refreshing, this beer is perfect to drink right after you’ve mowed the lawn while the barbecue is heating up for tonight’s dinner. The Spoetzl Brewery produces my favorite beer of all time, Shiner Bock and they know how to make beer for Texans.

The best comparison I can make to Shiner Smokehaus is that it is like sushi. I like it a lot, but I really don’t want to have it more than once or twice a month. The smoky flavor makes it one of the driest beers I’ve ever had and it sort of contradicts with the refreshment. I like drinking this beer but I immediately want to have a different one right afterward. Drink this beer with my barbecued pork shoulder recipe and have one last hurrah before summer slips away.

No comments:

Post a Comment