Thursday, March 4, 2010

How Have I Lived 23 Years and Never Tried Corn Pancakes?

I was talking about pancakes the other day with a co-worker and she mentioned that she loved corn pancakes. "What the hell is that?" I asked, politely. Turns out, cornbread + pancakes = corn pancakes. Math lesson for the day. Enjoy.

I'm sure I could have made a real recipe for this instead of just opening up a box of Jiffy corn mix but they were delicious so don't knock it till you try it. To kick it up a notch I make a caramel apple and banana sauce/chutney/relish. It was awesome.

You will need:

1 box Jiffy corn muffin mix
3/4 cup melted butter
1/4 cup milk
1 egg
pinch of salt

1 cup sugar
1 granny smith apple
1 very ripe banana
1/2 stick butter

I began by mixing the batter for the pancakes. Jiffy mix, melted butter, milk, egg, whisk, done. While that was happening I melted the sugar on the stove in a small sauce pan with a tablespoon of water. Once all the sugar melts it will be clear then slowly turn darker brown. This is caramel, also known as culinary napalm. Be careful because this stuff will burn you, BAD.

I started making the corn pancakes just like I would make regular flap jacks and it's the same. One ladle = one pancake. Once you see bubbles flip it over. We've all done this before.

Just a little apple brunoise. Knife skills at work. These beautifully cut apples didn't make it into the final shot because I scorched the caramel the first time around. Hey, it happens. Once the caramel has turned a lovely shade of medium brown add the apples, bananas and butter and keep stirring until it melts again. Cook for five more minutes until the fruit softens up.

Finished dish with oblong cut apples and caramel sauce redux. Nice little weekend brunch. Now all I need is a cocktail.

No comments:

Post a Comment