Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Prickly Pear Caramel Sauce












I was in the grocery store the other day and I saw an awesome deal on prickly pears. Five for a dollar, so I stuffed a few in a bag, threw some change at the drooler behind the counter and ran home fruit in hand. Prickly pears are one of my favorite exotic fruits. They taste like a kiwi, only more acidic and grassy. They grow all over Texas and are an excellent addition to margaritas. Unfortunately, I was sans-tequila so margs were out of the question but luckily for me, I am brilliantly creative. I peeled and mashed the flesh of the fruit through a strainer to get about a cup and a half of prickly pear juice, made a caramel sauce and enjoyed it over ice cream. Here’s the recipe.

You will need:

1.5 cups prickly pear juice, fresh

Quarter cup sugar

Quarter cup butter

Melt the sugar and butter together over low heat until you have a nice caramel color. Add the prickly pear juice and stir until incorporated. Serve over hot vanilla ice cream.


No comments:

Post a Comment